You should be aware that an earthquake of great intensity can affect Puerto Rico at any time. Please take the following measures to avoid death, physical harm and/or damage to your property.
1. Develop a seismic conscience.
2. Make a meticulous inspection of your house and workplace to determine if there are structural dangers.
3. Get advice from an engineer to assure the structural stability of your site during an earthquake.
4. Build structures in firm land.
5. Identify and take measures to reduce the dangers that there are in your home, neighborhood and your workplace.
6. Secure the potentially unstable furniture to the wall or the floor.
7. Hold movable and equipment with wheels to the floor and the walls
8. Close tightly the doors of all cabinets and equipment.
9. Secure firmly all hanging objects of the ceiling.
10. Remove heavy objects from high places.
11. Move beds away from dangerous places.
12. Secure the gas tanks and water heaters to the wall.
13. Use tubes made of flexible materials.
14. Keep the exits free of obstacles.
15. Get an insurance against earthquakes.
16. Prepare a plan of contingency for your familiy/home and workplace.
17. Create a duplicate of the keys of your home and vehicle.
18. Keep a lantern with spare batteries next to your bed.
19. Keep a portable radio with batteries.
20. Install a fire extinguisher in an accessible site.
21. Keep a suitable food reserve.
22. Keep an abundant water supply.
23. Keep a toolbox in an accessible place.
24. Be prepared to provide first aid and make sure to have sufficient medicines.
25. Keep important documents in a safe box.
26. Prepare a security backpack for classrooms and workplaces. It must include first aid provisions (rubbing alcohol, antiseptic, betadine, etc.), radio, lantern, batteries for radios and lanterns, markers, notebook, gloves, and other things that you understand are necessary.
27. Develop a local plan to face earthquakes.
28. Make an evaluation of your neighborhood resources.
29. Prepare your children to face an earthquake.
30. Give advice to people with impediments.
31. Keep domestic animals inside your home.
32. Practices maneuvers against earthquakes at your home and/or workplace.
33. If you live or work in a tall building, prepare for strong oscillations.
34. You should have prior knowledge of alternate routes.
1. React quickly.
2. If you are inside your house or another building, stay there and move to a safe place.
3. Keep away from dangerous objects and it protect yourself against
4. those that fall.
5. Do not run. In most of the cases it is safer to remain inside than to try to leave.
6. Do not use the elevator or try to leave the building by the stairs during the earthquake.
7. Stop your automobile and stay in.
8. If you are outside, stay there, and moving away of posts, trees and buildings.
9. If you use a wheelchair, stay sit and try to avoid falling objects.
1. Move away from the sea.
2. Keep calm, take a moment to think about the consequences of what you are going to do.
3. Implement familiar and community emergency plans.
4. Make a fast initial inspection in case there are wound or stuck people.
5. Wear suitable clothes
6. Verify if there are fires.
7. Do not make unnecessary calls.
8. If you detect any gas leak, close the main valve, open the windows and get away from the building.
9. Disconect the electrical service if there are damages in the electrical system of the property.
10. Do not touch cables or electrical posts that have fallen to the ground. Get rid of dangerous substances that may have been spilled.
11. Examine the sanitary system.
12. Save some water in the washbasins and bathtubs.
13. Carefully inspect your house in case there are structural damages. Be careful when opening the doors of your household furniture.
14. Tune in the emergency broadcasting system.
15. Do not go outside for gossip.
16. Be prepared for more earthquakes.
17. If you are handicapede and you are trapped, call for aid or make noise to receive aid. If you are deaf or you have auditory problems, attract the attention of others.
18. Help people with visual impediments.
19. Cooperate with the Civil Defense and other authorities of emergency and public security.